· Is it possible to open the automatic lifting hook and drop a suspended load?
The patented evo automatic lifting hook has a fail-safe design. It is designed in a way that makes it impossible to drop suspended loads. It will only drop the rigging hardware (slings, chains), and only if the suspended weight is under 20 kgs. (44.09 lbs.) The electrical motor does not have the sufficient power to open the hook when more than 20 kgs. (44.09 lbs.) are suspended. This limit can be set to a lower value if necessary, to ensure the lifting operation is even safer.
· Is it possible to control the elebia automatic hook with the remote control of the crane?
Yes, with the installable remote control (optional) you can control the automatic hook with the crane remote control. This system is universal, no matter the model or manufacturer of the crane’s remote control.
· Is it possible to control more than one automatic hook with the same remote control?
Yes, the eMAX remote control allows you to remotely control up to 24 hooks at any given time.
· Is the elebia system valid for all kinds of cranes?
Yes, it is valid for all kind of cranes and lifting machines (reach stackers, forklifts, tele handlers). The automatic hook uses removable batteries and a remote control. No installation of any kind is necessary.
· Is it possible to wire-up the remote hooks?
Yes, the safety hooks can be delivered with a previously wired-up setup. The power supply can be wired (24 V DC). In these cases, the swivel lock has to be blocked to avoid problems with the cables. The input and output signal can also be wired-up.
elebia does not recommend this solution unless there is a clear necessity (very low temperatures, when batteries are not operational, etc…).
· What is the life span of the battery?
The life span of the battery depends on its use, temperature, humidity, maintenance and wear. If these conditions are respected the battery can last up to 2 years.
· What is the duration of the battery?
The battery can work for up to a whole week with just one charge. Tests show the battery withstands up to 5,000 cycles (1 cycle = open/close of hook) in continuous operation, or up to 250 hours in standby mode.
· How long does it take to charge the battery to full power?
Less than 3 hours for a full charge.
· Do I need to fully discharge the battery before every charge to prolong its life?
No. Ion Lithium batteries do not hold the memory effect.
· Can Ion Lithium batteries be stored for a long period of time?
Ion Lithium batteries should not be stored for a long period of time, as they age and lose capacity. If there is a need to store them for a long period of time, they should be charged to 50% of its capacity, and recharged every 3 months. An ideal solution is to have a second battery as back-up, using them both alternatively. While one is in use, the other one may be charged.
More info about the batteries here.
Maintenance and Warranty
· What maintenance is needed for automatic hook?
As lifting equipment, it has to be visually inspected to verify there are no cracks or deformations. Once a year or every 100,000 cycles a full maintenance should be conducted by elebia’s technical service.
· Is there a typical spare part necessary to have?
An extra safety latch is recommended, and a spare battery is recommended in some applications.
· What are the most common malfunctions or breakdowns of the automatic hook?
The safety latch is a fungible asset, and may occasionally break with day-to-day wear. In case of severe or heavy impact, the motor or electronic system may get damaged.
· What is the warranty of elebia’s products?
All elebia products have a two-year warranty except for batteries which is of six months.